Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Creamy Chicken Fiesta Soup (Healthified)

My favorite soup of all time is Creamy Chicken Fiesta Soup.
It hits all the right notes; creamy, cheesy, a little spicy, and full of flavor. Well there is one note it just doesn't hit and that is it is not that healthy, I mean it is not horrible but it could definitely have a makeover.
Well here it is! This soup originally had pretty healthy stuff in it but there was a big huge chunk of cream cheese in the recipe and I mean no matter what way you cut it, cream cheese just isn't that healthy. So I was thinking how can I keep the full flavor of this soup while cutting the calories? My first solution was greek yogurt; well that didn't quite work because the yogurt curdled right away. So I was left with my first dilemma all over again.... what the flip could I do? Then it hit me! Fat free cottage cheese! Only 80 calories for a 1/2 cup and I only needed 1 cup for my entire pot of soup!
So I figured 160 calories divided by usually about 8 big servings is only 20 calories per serving for the cottage cheese. Now I should have added up all the other calories and divided by 8 as well but I haven't yet and I will update this post when I get it. But here is the recipe:
2 cans of corn
2 cans of rotel
2 cans of diced green chiles
2 cans of low sodium black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 chicken breast halved and diced
 2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. chili powder (if you want it less spicy use only 1 tsp.)
2 ranch packets
1 cup of fat free cottage cheese



Here is the hardest part of the recipe, you take the cup of cottage cheese and put it in a food processor or blender with  little water and then blend until smooth.
Now the easy part just cook the chicken and dump the rest  of the ingredients in the pot and you are set! You can even load this in the crock pot in the morning with frozen chicken and in the evening just shred the chicken before you eat. Seriously the easiest most delicious week night meal, also great for pot lucks and football parties! Everyone loves it and always asks for the recipe.





look how creamy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment